Some years there are Christmas songs or carols that are really special. They are songs that speak to my heart or allow my heart to sing in worship.
There was one year in college that this season was particularly hard. The song from The Grinch - Where Are You Christmas? was a song that I listened to a lot. I questioned where the holiness of the season was and where was my heart that usually loved this time of year.
Another year I LOVED Little Drummer Boy (Jars of Clay version). I could totally relate to the little boy saying he has nothing to give but he plays his best for Him. I felt the same. I knew what I did have was not an adequate gift for Jesus. But, I could live for Him so that the world can see. I also like when the Baby Jesus seems to nod in approval. It made me think of the day when He hopefully will nod in approval to the way I have lived my life for Him.
A few years ago I listened on repeat to Manger Throne by Third Day loving the words and singing them as worship....
What kind of King would leave His throne
In Heaven to make this earth His home?
While men seek fame and great renown
In loneliness our King comes down
Jesus, Jesus, precious One
How we thank You that You've come
Jesus, Jesus, precious One
A manger throne for God’s own Son
You left the sound of angels' praise
To come for men with unkind ways
And by this Baby's helplessness
The power of nations is laid to rest
What kind of King would come so small
From glory to a humble stall?
That dirty manger is my heart, too
I'll make it a royal throne for You
My heart is a throne
My heart is a throne for God's own Son
Last year I found Bebo Norman's Come and Worship a sweet call to my heart to just come and worship the new born King.
And finally, we arrive at this year. Christmas 2008. If I had written this a couple of weeks ago I would have said
O Holy Night. This was after a wonderful sermon that Matt preached that showed the significance of this song. If you would like to listen to it (O Holy Night: The Reckless Love of God) you can find it
here. It's worth your time.

I want to share another Bebo Norman song that seems so fitting for Christmas Eve and it's the one that has been singing in my heart. Because I don't know how to embed music into the blog I'll just show the chorus it says:
And the angels filled the sky
All of heaven wondered why
Why their King would choose to
Be a baby born to die
Christmas Eve... the night the Savior was born. The night He was born so that eventually He could die for our sins. And, He was born to die so that we could spend eternity with Him if we just realize our need for a Savior, and ask Him to come so that we can give our lives and hearts to Him. Examine your hearts this Christmas Eve, and accept this perfect present God sent for you...His son, Jesus.
Merry Christmas.
No comments:
Post a Comment