Sunday, November 14, 2010

Howdy Y'all!

Ok, Texas people. Short little lesson today. Because you can take the girl out of teaching, but you can't take the teaching out of the girl. Here we go...

How to spell y'all.

It is a contraction. We all know contractions are short for two words. Y'all is you & all. We know that the apostrophe takes the place of the missing letters.
Thus, taking the "ou" off of "you" would necessitate an apostrophe after the y and before the all.

** If you spell it ya'll- what letters is the apostrophe standing in for? None.

Disclaimer: I am an awful speller. It took me forever to figure out how to get "necessitate" close enough that spell check would even know what I wanted to spell! Please know I'm not judging you, your grammar, or your spelling. But, for this little word- please change your ways.

Thanks y'all.
Y'all come back now, ya hear?
One more... No? Ok, fine y'all.
Ha! Just couldn't help myself!



6 comments:

Katy said...

But what about the most important lesson of all---that it's not even a real word?!? ;) I guess I'm the weird one, though, considering I was born and raised here and still never use it!

KD said...

I don't know Katy... It DOES show up in my dictionary.com app. Real word?! A dictionary thinks so ;)

Katy said...

Alright alright...I'll give you that...but only if it's an iPhone app! ;)

allison said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you for writing this. It drives me nuts!

Kelly said...

can your next lessons be when to use "your" and "you're"???
then one on "to" and "too"!!!!
thanks Mrs. D!

-kln- said...

It drives me CRAZY when people spell it "ya'll" and I'm from New Jersey!