Friday, December 11, 2009

Questions

Ok, upon announcing that we are expecting I am usually asked the same questions. Really 2 that I've thought a lot about and that are reoccurring. I will just address Question #1 today. I know that I have too asked these questions. Now I know....

Question #1-
"Are you going to find out?"
This sounds like a simple and innocent enough question. There are people, friends, and family that simply would like to know if you are going to know (me, when I asked this question in the past, for example) and are willing to accept any answer you give them without any commentary tacked on.
Then, there are those who are asking with the secret intentions of telling you exactly what they think about your decision. Then, I feel compelled to give my reasons/ rationalization for the decision when I really don't know this person well at all. Really, it's a no win situation with those people. Either I end up rethinking my decision, or I'm thankful for their support but then wonder what if I do become one of those people they are talking about who don't find out?

Pro NOT finding out:: "You're going to find out?! (Shaking their head) Why would you do that?! It's such a wonderful surprise! Ahh you're weak, you sucker, it's like opening the presents before Christmas...." and on and on. This has happened multiple times- almost to the point where I do go back and rethink my decision. Is this some sort of parent peer pressure?

Pro finding out:: "That's great! I don't know how people don't! There are enough surprises!" And of course this one can go on and on, too.

Were you wondering if we are going to find out if it is a boy or girl? Well, YES we are. In January sometime, and I'm really excited. So please don't rain on my parade. Here is my reason, the only one that really should matter that no one really accepts:: I, this baby's mom, want to know. I want to know if I am talking to and praying for a little boy or girl for the next 6 months. I want to know to get the room perfect for him/her for when they come. I want to spend time prayerfully deciding on a name with Brad that displays our family and our magnificent God.

**I know you are really excited to find out about Question #2 coming soon.**


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

give me the names of whoevers being a jerk. ill take care of them for you.
i cant wait to meet your kid and tell him or her what it wont take long to figure out.... the kid has awesome parets.

Leah said...

when they tell me it's like opening presents before Christmas, I am like, "EXACTLY! I ALWAYS OPENED MY PRESENTS BEFORE CHRISTMAS AS A CHILD!" And who says that Christmas isn't the day that the sonographer tells you the sex of your child?

Exactly.

Mary knew that Jesus was going to be a boy. Nuff said.

(PS- You should just tell them that.)

Kelly said...

Well, You have found out how nosey and rude people can be when you are pregnant! I'm glad you made the decision based on what YOU want and are holding true to that!
You tell those people that parenting is like christmas everyday! ;)
I too had to find out for the same reasons you are!
I hope that you and this baby Dunn continue to be blessed and that everything continues to go smooth!
love you!

The Leuenberger's said...

Wait until people start asking you about names...that's the most annoying. Look people, if I don't want to say a name-don't pressure me. Don't feel the pressure--you do what you want. Its your life and your baby.