Monday, October 27, 2008

Pencil Sharpener & Saving the World

This is a big deal. For a few weeks my classroom has been without a pencil sharpener. This is VERY annoying. Some of the kids pretend they can't write because their pencil isn't sharp. Some just sit there and when I ask they say,  "I don't have a pencil."  I was absent a few weeks ago and when I returned...pencil sharpener broken. **Note to self...new rule...when I am away NO pencil sharpening.** So tonight I decided to take matters into my own hands and try and fix this thing. I have never taken anything apart before, fixed, it and put it back together. That's what Dad did.  So I banged it around, got a flashlight, and screwdriver. Pretended like I knew what I was doing and took it apart! Woah. I never take risks like this, but I did. Then, I found the big broken piece of pencil that was jamming up the whole thing, removed it, put the screws back in, and YES!! It works! I am SO proud of myself that it just needed to be documented.

On a sadder note, I had to say good bye to one of my kiddos today who is going to go live with his mom. I'll miss him. Its amazing how attached you get after only a couple of months. He gave me this big hug and started crying. This is why I am a teacher. Not for the crying, or course, but because at that moment I knew that I really meant something to him. I knew that that was why I go to work when it is still dark.  I knew that I do make a difference. I'm off to bed. Saving the world takes a lot of energy you know.

3 comments:

keely said...

good job trin!

Meredith's Memoir said...

That's the best story I have heard in the last week... easy. I'm super proud of you for taking it apart and then putting it back together! Uh-mazing!

John and Kari said...

it's those moments that you'll never forget... and neither will that child!